# Basic steps
# First run
To start using Genymotion Desktop and run your Android application in a virtual device, follow the steps below:
Start Genymotion Desktop in one of the following ways depending on your operating system:
- Windows: Click from your application menu.
- macOS: Click from the Applications directory.
- Linux: Run
<Genymotion installer path>/genymotion.
The main window opens:
Enter your account credentials and click NEXT or click on CREATE ACCOUNT to create a new account.
Click on , select a virtual device from the list and click on NEXT or double-click on it.
If you cannot add a virtual device at this step, you may be running out of free space. We recommend you check the free remaining space on your hard disk.
A new window opens:
Enter a name and/or adjust the settings for your new virtual device and click INSTALL.
Your virtual device is being downloaded and will appear in My installed devices section:
Double click on your newly created virtual device or click on and select
Startto start it.
The virtual device window opens:
For more information about sensor and feature emulation as well as interaction with a virtual device, please refer to section Virtual Devices
# Custom virtual devices
If the virtual device you need to deploy is not listed in the available virtual devices list, you can create your own custom virtual device:
- When adding a new device, select either the Custom Phone or Custom Tablet from the list:
- The custom device setup window opens
- Set a name for the device
- Choose a predefined or custom display resolution that matches the device you wish to emulate
- Set your System settings (Android version, number of CPU and RAM size) to match those of the device you wish to emulate.
- Adjust the other options to your liking and needs
- Click on INSTALL and wait for the virtual device to be deployed
Your newly created device should appear in the My installed devices section.
# Install applications
Please refer to Deploying an Application