# Desktop account
In order to download and use Genymotion Desktop, you first need to create a Desktop account:
- Create a Desktop account here
- An email will be sent to you, click on the validation link to activate your account.
- Sign in with your credentials.
# Operating Systems
Genymotion Desktop cannot be run from a virtual machine as it needs direct access to hardware in order to provide OpenGL acceleration.
It will not work if installed and run from VMWare, Parallels, Hyper-V or VirtualPC.
Genymotion Desktop is compatible with the following operating systems:
# Microsoft Windows
Windows 8/8.1 (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Since Microsoft stopped providing updates and security fixes on January 20,2020, we no longer provide supports for Windows 7.
Genymotion Desktop does not work on Windows Server edition.
It is possible to use Genymotion Desktop on Windows 32bit, but we do not recommend it.
If you still wish to do so, please follow these steps:
- Download Genymotion Desktop installer without VirtualBox.
- Download and install VirtualBox 5.2.38 from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_2
- Install Genymotion Desktop
- macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or above
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) (64 bit) or above
- Debian 9 (Stretch) (64 bit)
- Fedora 30 (64 bit) or above
Other distributions are not officially supported.
Genymotion Desktop requires that you have the following hardware on your computer:
- OpenGL 2.0 capable video card, with an up-to-date driver. We recommend the use of one of the following minimum graphic chips:
- Intel HD Graphics 4000 (2012)
- Nvidia GeForce 500 Series (2011)
- ATI Radeon HD 6000 Series (2011)
- 64 bit CPU, with VT-x or AMD-V capability, enabled in BIOS settings
- RAM memory: at least 8GB
- Screen resolution greater than 1024 x 768 pixels
- Free space on hard disk: 120MB for Genymotion Desktop + 1GB for one virtual device.
If you wish to deploy more than one virtual devices, count 1GB more per device.
To run virtual devices, you must install Oracle VM VirtualBox. Download the recommended version for your operating system:
You do not need to download VirtualBox if you downloaded our installation pack with VirtualBox included.
Linux: make sure VirtualBox is installed on your system. If not, install the version included with your package manager.
Our recommended distributions (see Operating Systems) all offer a VirtualBox package version which has been tested.
If you are using a different distribution, it may not work "out of the box".
Please make sure that your distribution package provides VirtualBox v5.2.38 or above.