# Basic steps
# First run
To start using Genymotion Desktop and run your Android application in a virtual device, follow the steps below:
Start Genymotion Desktop in one of the following ways depending on your operating system:
- Windows: Click from your application menu.
- macOS: Click from the Applications directory.
- Linux: Run
<Genymotion installer path>/genymotion.
The main window opens:
Enter your account credentials and click
NEXTor click on
CREATE ACCOUNTto create a new account.
Select a virtual device from the
Available templatelist and double click on it or click on and select
If you cannot add a virtual device at this step, you may be running out of free space. We recommend you check the free remaining space on your hard disk.
The Install virtual device window opens:
Enter a name and/or adjust the settings for your new virtual device and click Next.
Your virtual device is being downloaded and will appear in
My installed device:
Double click on your newly created virtual device or click on and select
Startto start it.
The virtual device window opens:
For more information about sensor and feature emulation as well as interaction with a virtual device, please refer to section Virtual Devices
# Custom virtual devices
If the virtual device you need to deploy is not listed in the available virtual devices list, you can create your own custom virtual device:
- From the Genymotion Desktop main window, scroll down to the bottom and click
ADD CUSTOM DEVICE:
- Thu custom device setup window opens:
- Set a name for the device
- Choose a predefined or custom display resolution that matches the device you wish to emulate
- Set your System settings (Android version, number of CPU and RAM size) to match those of the device you wish to emulate.
- Adjust the other options to your liking and needs
- Click on
INSTALLand wait for the virtual device to be deployed
Your newly created device should appear in the
My installed devices section.